“University to Society Innomediaries in Albania: Co-Production of knowledge and research that matters”CCIT
Project Title: “University to Society Innomediaries in Albania: Co-Production of knowledge and research that matters”
Project Acronym: U-SIA
Project timeline: 15/01/2021- 15/01/2023
Grant Agreement number: 618997-EPP-1-2020-1-AL-EPPKA2-CBHE-JP
Project Budget: EUR 861,570.00
Project coordinator: Mediterranean University of Albania
- Mediterranean University of Albania – leader
- Chamber of Commerce Tirana – partner business
- Professional College of Tirana – HEI partner
- University of Shkodra – HEI partner
- European University of Tirana – HEI partner
- University of Durres – HEI partner
- Science and Innovation Center for Development – NGO partner
- Center for Comparative and International Studies – NGO partner
- National Agency for Scientific Research, Innovation and Technology – public body
- Belgrade University – Programme countries
- Universita Degli Studi Guglielmo Marconi – Programme countries
- ACEEU- Accreditation Council for Entrepreneurial & Engaged Universities – Programme countries
- The need to foster the university to society links and cooperation in the sense of the collaboration between all actors in the Quadruple Helix: university, business, policy, civil society and media.
- The need to establish adequate structures and processes that enables and foster sustainable and meaningful collaboration between university and business, policy, civil society and media;
- The need to strengthen competences and capacities to co-produce knowledge and research with impact, i.e. to collaborate in the Quadruple Helix and thus contribute to development and EU integration.
The overall objective:
To foster effective and sustainable university to society collaboration in Albania with impact in the development and European integration process of the country.
Specifically, the project intends to:
- SO1 – to enhance the capacities of universities in Albania to co-produce knowledge and research with impact through establishment of knowledge transfer and innovation brokerage unit (USIA).
- SO2 – to introduce and expand co-production of knowledge that is academically insightful and practically actionable in Albanian context through establishment of network of partners in Quadruple Helix model (QH).
- WP1 – Preparation
- WP2 – Design & Development of knowledge transfer and innovation brokerage unit in Albanian HEIs (USIA)
- WP3 – Design and Development of Models for co-production of knowledge & research with impact through exchange of experience
- WP4 – Online collaborative platform for Quadruple Helix
- WP5 – Piloted University to Business Cooperation through “Second a Researcher” Programme
- WP6– Piloting University to Policy Cooperation through Policy Labs & Policy Challenge Fund
- WP7 – Quality Assurance
- WP8 – Dissemination
- WP9 – Management
- A strong network of universities, research centres, civil society organisations, businesses and public policy institutions established to work on foster effective and sustainable university to society collaboration in Albania
- Knowledge transfer and innovation brokerage units established in partner universities in Albania with the support of EU partners
Concrete tangible results
- 5 newly established or strengthened Knowledge Transfer & Innovation Brokerage Units in 5 universities in Albania (USIA);
- 1 online collaborative platform for co-production of knowledge and research with impact is established with participation of the network of partners: Albania, Serbia, Italy, Germany + stakeholders (12 partners in project all in all + 8 involved stakeholders)
- 5 Pilot University to Business collaborative “Second a Researcher” programme developed, implemented and evaluation (5 pilot projects)
- 10 Pilot University to Policy Cooperation programmes developed, implemented and evaluated (5 pilot projects):
- 5 Policy Labs where students work on project-based learning and solve 5 policy issues
- 5 Policy Challenge Fund whereby 5 researchers are selected by 5 public institutions to co-produce policy solutions.
- Trained lecturers, researchers, assistant lecturers or PhD students, master students on co-producing knowledge and research with impact by collaborating with business, public institutions, civil society, media in QH. (50 staff plus 20 students, 70 in total)
- Validated models and guidelines for best practices on setting up and functioning of USIA (1 model / guideline published)
- Trained researchers, research management staff, project management, innovators, senior management staff from 5 HEIs in Albania and 1 NGO, 1 research center and 1 public institution, 1 business association on co-production on knowledge and research that is actionable (50 in total)
- Trained USIA staff (researchers, research management staff, project management, innovators) on sustainability and capitalization of results (50 staff)
- Enhanced cooperation among multidisciplinary groups of local and international researchers through joint projects and initiatives (At least 2 new collaborative projects applied in the framework of Quadruple Helix Network)
- 1 Communication campaign to raise awareness on the importance of collaboration between university, business, public sector, civil society and media in QH Model.
- 7 workshops at EU partners for exchange of experience for staff
- 1 workshop at EU partners for students for capacity building
- 15 “peer to peer” support workshops in Albania
- 1 roundtable with the Quadruple Helix network and policy sector: “Collaboration with policy: Increasing demand for quality research output by policy”
- 1 roundtable the Quadruple Helix network and private sector: “Collaboration with business: Enabling conditions for R&I in Albania”