Name of the project: BIO-ECOnomy Research Driven Innovation
Acronym of the project: BIOECO-R.D.I
Duration: 24 months (01.01.2018– 31.12.2019)
PROGRAMME rationale: Programme priority: Innovative and smart region
Priority specific objective: Support the development of a regional innovation system for the Adriatic-Ionian area
- Regional Bio-economy Innovation System
- Bio-economy actors’ transnational integration
- Bio-economy support policies
Lead Partner: Regional Agency for the Economic Development of Umbria (IT)
- Confindustria Umbria (IT)
- National institute of Chemistry (SI)
- Ruđer Boškovic ́ Institute (HR)
- Region of Western Macedonia (EL)
- Alma Mons Ltd. Novi Sad (RS)
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry (AL)
The ADRION region has relevant unexploited potential of biomass from agricultural, fisheries and forestry waste and residues. The enterprises operating in such sectors are suffering serious delays in the green reconversion, multi-functioning, technology innovation, cross-sectoral integration.
In this perspective, BIOECO-RDI aims at developing a Regional Innovation System for the Adriatic-Ionian area based on a structured bio-economy sector through the development of Research Driven Innovation (R.D.I.) strategy at regional and transnational level BIOECO-RDI will improve the situation:
- creating a collaborative network among Adrion regions, enterprises and academia for collaborative research, knowledge transfer and skills development
- supporting the enterprise and cluster in the transition process toward an industrial model with higher level of innovation and international collaboration
- boosting the integration between Green- chemistry and Agri-food cluster according with a circular economy approach
- creating an Adriatic-Ionian bio-based product market
- bridging the gap among the existing wide regional disparities
- activating a mutual learning process among regions with different levels of D.I. and bioeconomy business maturity
Waste is a world alarming problems;
- agricultural and forestry account for 30% of the overall waste produced.
- 90 million tonnes of food waste are generated yearly in EU, 38% (35 million tonnes) of which came from food industry with a carbon value comparable to that (i.e. carbon value) in all of the chemicals and plastics yearly used but with the advantage that it is
Adrion Programme SWOT analysis identifies the following main weaknesses affecting enterprises competitiveness:
- Strong influence of traditional business (low and medium technology sectors)
- Majority of enterprises poorly integrated in international networks
- Wide regional disparities
- Limited sectoral/cross-sectoral specializations
In the Adrion Area could be identified three different situations related to bioeconomy RDI level and business maturity:
Initial stage: Regions introducing the bioeconomy in the regional planning agenda and creating the policy, socio-economic and R&D landscape for its establishment and operation.
Drive to Maturity: Regions where the first competitive bioeconomy products are sold at the market thanks to a good level of RDI and integration among research and enterprises.
Age of mature production: The cluster is able to produce competitive bioeconomy products at an extensive scale but still need of specific institutional actions and market strategy to guarantee the market uptake.
In this perspective the project challenge is to create a model based on green chemical technologies application, international cooperation, cross-sectoral integration.
Transnational cooperation reason
The BIO-ECO R.D.I. strategy basic element is the transnational collaboration for the following reasons:
- The integrated process toward an ADRION area bio-based product market is based on know-how sharing and mutual learning process among regions.
- The integration among triple helix actors must be conceived in a framework of international collaboration to obtain effective results.
- The creation of a bio-based product market lays on an international cross-sectors clustering process oriented to the creation of integrated supply chains at regional and international
For these reasons the project will design a double level strategy.
One on regional scale:
- the long term policy for the regional bio-economy development
- the short term plan for the increase of RDI level and bioeconomy business
On International scale:
- creating a BIO-Economy RDI collaboration network to develop specific bi and multi-actors collaboration initiatives (at least 6 bi or multi-actors collaboration agreements) for bio-based product
General Objective: To develop a Regional Innovation System for the Adriatic-Ionian area based on a structured bio-economy sector though the development of Research Driven Innovation strategy at regional and transnational level based on green chemical technologies application, research and innovation stakeholder international cooperation, cross-sectoral integration.
- To promote the bio-economy as a key field for regional and transnational innovation system and fostering diffusion and uptake of research driven innovation.
- To promote the transnational integration among business, users, academia and administration aimed at developing collaboration initiatives.
- To improve the framework condition under a political, technological and industrial point of view for improving the bioeconomy RDI level and bioeconomy cluster maturity and for supporting the bio-based product market up-take.
WP 1 Project management;
WP 2 BIO-ECOnomy RDI Strategy designing
WP 3 Pilot Action
WP 4 Capacity building and networking
WP 5 Communication
– Implementation of regional and international Innovation system based on BIO-economy research driven innovation strategies aimed at improving regional R.D.I. level and bioeconomy business maturity.
– Creation of a permanent bio-economy transnational network composed by regions, enterprises and academia aimed at developing collaborative initiatives.
– Activate a process of institutional dialogue with the national and regional public authorities aimed adopting a Bioeconomy R.D.I. Regional strategy
- BIOECO-R.D.I regional strategy
- BIOECO-R.D.I international strategy
- Service to enterprises for product and process innovation
- BIO-Economy RDI international collaboration network
- Capacity building strategy
- Communication materials
The project is supported by the interreg ADRION Programme funded under the European Regional Development Fund and IPA II fund.